Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Secrets of slim people...whatever

When I'm bored at work, I read the different "news" stories that Yahoo posts on their main page. Ever so often, there is an article about the "secrets of skinny people" or something along those lines. I always read it just to see what they say. Here's  the one they had posted today.

I am a slim person. I have been the same size and pretty much the same weight since my sophomore year of high school.
freshman yr of college
this year

As you can see, not much difference in my size (sorry, didn't have any pictures from high school). The tips and secrets they give in the articles pretty much never change. I don't do or follow most of the "secrets" listed in the articles, and it always makes me wonder who the heck they talked to.

The "secrets" listed in today's article are:
  1. Drinking tea high in antioxidants
  2. Working out before breakfast
  3. Eating breakfast
  4. Taking your time to eat your food (savoring it)
  5. Eating at the same time every day
  6. Drinking a few cups of water before eating a meal
  7. Weighing yourself weekly
Out of the 7 "secrets," I only do like 3 of them.
  • I do eat breakfast every day. If I don't, I'm a huge grump and it's not pretty.
  • I do eat at about the same time every day, mainly because I get hungry around the same time every day, not because I plan it that way.
  • I do weigh myself weekly, but that's because it gives me a reason to leave the office (the scale is in the weight room the floor below me) and I don't want to be losing weight especially with the big miles I've been running lately.
Here are some things that I do that I think have helped me maintain my slender figure.
  • I try to eat a balanced diet. I LOVE fruits, veggies, carbs, and protein! I always try to eat a variety of different produce and just food in general. Variety is important!
  • Sleep is important. I LOVE sleep. I get between 7 - 10 hrs every night. Sleep helps your body recover from the day, so not getting enough sleep can hurt you and weaken your immune system.
  • I don't eat BIG meals, I snack throughout the day, and I don't eat out very often. My snacks are usually fruit, granola bars, yogurt, or something like that. If I do eat out or eat a BIG meal, I tend to not snack as much.
  • And of course, I run. Physcial activity is important, but it doesn't have to be running. My mom walks every day.
If you really want to hear tips about staying slender, you should talk to my mom. She can still wear clothes she wore in high school, and she's going to be 50 in June! How do you do it Mom?

me & my mom
I think it's important to find what works for you because everyone is different. This is another reason I think the articles they post about the "secrets of staying skinny" are poop. Find what works for you, and don't pay too much attention to what the health articles say. What are some things that work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment