Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Shack

I realize it's been a little while since I last posted. And I haven't bought new shoes yet, but my hot feet have kind of gone away.

I haven't really been doing much lately. Mostly just chilling at home and applying to jobs. When I'm not applying for jobs, I'm doing other little things such as knitting (yeah I know, I'm a grandma).

What I haven't been doing much lately is running. I looked in my running log, and in the past 3 weeks I've only ran 28 miles total. In contrast, the weeks leading up to Boston I was running pretty much twice that much in 1 week. It makes me laugh. Being at home right now, I have all the time in the day to go run, and I just lack the motivation. I think it's the lack of routine. I don't know. I am running though, and that's more than what most people do.

Anyway, I just finished reading a book called The Shack by William P. Young. My mom gave it to me for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I never gave it a second look. You have to understand that my mom isn't very good at picking out what I consider to be "good books" to read. One year she gave me a book that was a collection of "Guideposts" stories. I've never read "Guideposts" before, and I don't ever plan on it. If you've never heard of it, it's some kind of magazine. Oh and the collection of stories were Christmas themed.

I usually just place the books she gives me on a shelf, leave them there, and don't think twice about them. (I hope my mom isn't reading this post...Sorry Mom, but it's true). Which is what happened with this book, until I found it the other day and actually decided to read it. Not sure why, but I guess I just felt like reading a book.


As much as I hate admitting it (because my mom gave it to me), it's actually a really good book. Honestly, I've never cried so much from reading a book before....in a good, kind of cleansing way. There's a quote from the book about crying that I really, really like, "Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the best words the heart can speak." So don't judge me!

What is this book about? This book is about a man who took 3 of his kids camping. While on this camping trip, his youngest daughter gets kidnapped and brutally murdered. The only evidence they obtained from the brutal murder was her blood-stained sundress in some old, abandoned shack. 3 years after her death, he receives a note in his mailbox, that is supposedly from God, inviting him back to the shack. Then, he goes to the shack to find God. That's all I'll tell you.

It was...Wow! That's all I can say. This book will give you a new perspective on God, religion, and relationships...in a good way. Once I got into the book, I couldn't put the it down. I pretty much finished it in one day, which is something I don't do very often with books! You should definitely read this book! It's good.

What are your favorite reads?

1 comment:

  1. Yea, my mom gave me The Shack to read as well. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I am still working my way through War and Peace, which is surprisingly good. I also really enjoy The Picture of Dorian Gray, and anything by John Steinbeck. If you are looking for more modern and self-improvement style, I love John Maxwell.

    ReplyDelete