Monday, March 28, 2011

uphill battle

This past week was a crazy week. A complete emotional roller coaster. I have been training so hard for the Boston Marathon for months, and my work told me that I couldn't take the days off in order to participate in it. I was floored. Ever since I qualified for Boston in January 2010, I've been planning on running in it. When they said I couldn't run in it, I was completely crushed.

The day they told me I couldn't take the days off to run in the marathon, it was a cold, rainy, stormy day. I was so upset by the news, I didn't care that it was barely 40 degrees outside, raining, and already dark. I went out and did an emotionally cleansing hill workout. The hill is about a mile from where I live, and it's a little over 1/4 mile long. I call it my own personal heart-break hill.

I went out to this hill, and I ran up and down it 10 times. It was the most emotional workout I have ever done. Each time I ran the hill, I thought about how much running the Boston Marathon meant to me. I thought about my grandparents from SD who planned to come see me run at Boston, the months and months of training I had already put in, and all of my other family and everyone else who are supporting me. Boston is kind of a big deal.

When I got back home from my run, I was completely soaked, shivering cold, and felt better and more confident than I had all week. When something happens to someone else and they say, "It'll all work out." It's hard to actually believe that it will. After my hill workout, I was confident and knew that whatever happened it would work out.


this shirt totally describes my Boston training

Training for Boston has really been quite an uphill battle, but it will all be worth it. Good news: they gave me the days off. Has anything like this ever happened to you before? not getting days off from work to do something really important to you? or had a break-through, emotional workout?

1 comment: