Wednesday, January 12, 2011

just do it

A year and 2 days ago, I ran my first marathon. Before I registered for the marathon, I never really thought that I would ever run one and I never really thought I could actually do it. 26.2 miles is a REALLY long distance to run. I had always thought that people who wanted to run a marathon were crazy, that there was something wrong with them. Well, now I'm one of those crazy people. I've done a marathon, and I plan to do more marathons. I'm already training for Boston and I want to do NYC too.
    The reason I decided to do a marathon was my boyfriend. Well, it was before we started dating. He had always wanted to do one, but the thought of it scared him. I kind of pushed him to register saying that I would register for him if I had to. In the end, it was sort of a compromise, that if he registered, I would register. In the end, the marathon was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
    Now, I think that with the proper training (and motivation), anybody could do a marathon. People are just too scared to try because it is a REALLY long distance and it's daunting. But seriously, if the people on "The Biggest Loser" can run a marathon, you can do it too. The best way to do a marathon, especially if you're scared or nervous about it, is to do it with a friend. You can train together, keep each other motivated, keep each other accountable, and share the experience.
    After running a marathon, you feel this great sense of accomplishment, the experience of a lifetime. You just completed one of the hardest things you'll ever do. You feel like you can do anything. I still feel like I can do anything. When I'm in a tough situation and I feel like I can't do something, I think to myself, "You've ran a marathon. This isn't as hard as that was."
   If you've always wanted to run a marathon or a half marathon or even a 5k but you don't think you can...you can. Stop worrying about it and just do it. Don't let your fears keep you from doing it because you could end up missing an experience of a lifetime. Good luck with your upcoming races! Go kick some butt!

my boyfriend and I with our awards after finishing our first marathon!

1 comment:

  1. I must admit, running a marathon is on my list of things to do with my life. My mom ran the Disney marathon a few years ago, and I can't have her showing me up :P

    ReplyDelete