Thursday, January 6, 2011

dusty running shoes

I'm so lucky to have been able to come home for a full 4 weeks for the holidays! I didn't ask for that much time for the holidays or anything, but I'm so glad I got it. Spending time with friends, family, and other loved ones has been fantastic! Unfortunately for my running, coming home has really taken a toll on it. Before coming home, I was running about 30-40 miles per week. Since being home, I've been doing less than 15 miles per week. My running shoes might as well have been collecting dust.

I'm definitely ready to dust off my running shoes and hit the roads in Maryland again. It's time to start gearing up my training for the BOSTON MARATHON!! There are less than 15 weeks until Boston. If I don't start my training for Boston soon, there will be little hope of meeting my time goal for the marathon.

Fortunately for me, I have not lost much of the fitness I built up this past summer/fall, despite my lack of running this holiday season. By running at least a little bit each week, I've been able to maintain most of my fitness.

Monday is going to be the day that I really start my Boston training. I'll have 14 weeks to get my butt ready to run the 26.2 mile distance and reach my time goal of 3:20:00 (which is 15 min faster than my first marathon). I like to use Runner's World's smartcoach tool to help me plan my marathon training. I always tweak it to make it work for me, but it's a good tool to use. And Runner's World is a good resource in general.

So dust off those running shoes and let's get going. Ready, set, GO!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice challenge. I may not run a marathon, but I do want to run more than I did last year. My goal is to wear out a pair of running shoes this year. I pray you beat your goal for the Boston Marathon.

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete